Mac Book VM for Windows 7 has really large font in Visual Studio 2008

I need to use VS 2008 for BIDS and SSRS development. On a new Windows 7 VM, VS2008 is displaying huge fonts and impossible to work with. 

First:

I had to right click the VM and select Configure |Hardware | Video , and change the resolution from ‘Best for Retina’ to ‘Scaled’

Second:

Open the VM,  go into control panel | Display | and change the resolution to 1920 x 1200.

 

Now VS 2008 will display fine. I’ll change back to the original settings  ( Configure | Hardware |Video | ‘Best for Retina’) and (Control Panel | Display | Resolution = 2880×1800)

 

PartialView is not posting back to the updateTarget. Posts back a complete page

I had a PartialView that is using the Ajax form. When the form submits, the action in the controller should update the div with the id that matches the UpdateTargetId. Instead the entire page loads with the partial view. Or if I return javascript, the javascript command is printed as text on the page rather than executing.

This has to do with the JQuery not being correct and I have read several things about this being because the live() function is not in the version of JQuery that you are using. I had been referring to a CDN for the JQuery, so I decided to refer to local JQuery and then it started working.

I removed:

<link href="http://cdn.kendostatic.com/2013.2.918/styles/kendo.common.min.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />

<link href="http://cdn.kendostatic.com/2013.2.918/styles/kendo.dataviz.min.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />

<link href="http://cdn.kendostatic.com/2013.2.918/styles/kendo.default.min.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />

<link href="http://cdn.kendostatic.com/2013.2.918/styles/kendo.dataviz.default.min.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />

<script src="http://cdn.kendostatic.com/2013.2.918/js/jquery.min.js"></script>

<script src="http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.9.0/jquery.min.js"></script>

<script src="http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jqueryui/1.9.0/jquery-ui.min.js"></script>

<script src="http://ajax.aspnetcdn.com/ajax/mvc/3.0/jquery.unobtrusive-ajax.min.js"></script>

<script src="http://cdn.kendostatic.com/2013.2.918/js/kendo.all.min.js"></script>

<script src="http://cdn.kendostatic.com/2013.2.918/js/kendo.aspnetmvc.min.js"></script>

<link rel="stylesheet" href="//netdna.bootstrapcdn.com/bootstrap/3.0.0/css/bootstrap.min.css">

<link rel="stylesheet" href="//netdna.bootstrapcdn.com/bootstrap/3.0.0/css/bootstrap-theme.min.css">

<script src="@Url.Content("~/Scripts/kendo.modernizr.custom.js")"></script>

I updated it as follows:

<link href="http://cdn.kendostatic.com/2013.2.918/styles/kendo.common.min.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />

<link href="http://cdn.kendostatic.com/2013.2.918/styles/kendo.dataviz.min.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />

<link href="http://cdn.kendostatic.com/2013.2.918/styles/kendo.default.min.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />

<link href="http://cdn.kendostatic.com/2013.2.918/styles/kendo.dataviz.default.min.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />

<script src="~/Scripts/jquery-1.9.1.js"></script>

<script src="~/Scripts/jquery.unobtrusive-ajax.js"></script>

<script src="~/Scripts/jquery.validate.js"></script>

<script src="~/Scripts/jquery-ui-1.9.2.js"></script>

<script src="~/Scripts/modernizr-2.6.2.js"></script>

<script src="http://cdn.kendostatic.com/2013.2.918/js/kendo.all.min.js"></script>

<script src="http://cdn.kendostatic.com/2013.2.918/js/kendo.aspnetmvc.min.js"></script>

<link rel="stylesheet" href="//netdna.bootstrapcdn.com/bootstrap/3.0.0/css/bootstrap.min.css">

<link rel="stylesheet" href="//netdna.bootstrapcdn.com/bootstrap/3.0.0/css/bootstrap-theme.min.css">

<script src="@Url.Content("~/Scripts/kendo.modernizr.custom.js")"></script>

Update:
The problem was in http://ajax.aspnetcdn.com/ajax/mvc/3.0/jquery.unobtrusive-ajax.min.js. That file tries to call .live() which is deprecated and has been replaced by .on(). The local /jquery.unobtrusive-ajax.min.js file I’m using calls .on() and therefore works properly.

SQL Split String function

Found this useful:

 

create function dbo.SplitString 

(

    @str nvarchar(max), 

    @separator char(1)

)

returns table

AS

return (

with tokens(p, a, b) AS (

    select 

        cast(1 as bigint), 

        cast(1 as bigint), 

        charindex(@separator, @str)

    union all

    select

        p + 1, 

        b + 1, 

        charindex(@separator, @str, b + 1)

    from tokens

    where b > 0

)

select

    p-1 ItemIndex,

    substring(

        @str, 

        a, 

        case when b > 0 then b-a ELSE LEN(@str) end) 

    AS Item

from tokens

);

 

GO

 

 

–Call it like this

— select * from dbo.splitString(‘hello john smith’, ‘ ‘)

— from http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2647/split-string-in-sql